French Onion Soup & Gooey Grilled Cheese Dippers
Sometimes all we want are the tried and true classics like this eternal favorite, French Onion soup with some ooey gooey grilled cheese goodness.
|8 slices||Artisan Baker Multigrain Bread|
|2 tbsp||olive oil|
|5 cups (finely sliced)||red onions|
|to taste||salt and pepper|
|1 tsp (chopped)||thyme leaves|
|1/4 l||red wine|
|6 cups (low sodium)||vegetable stock|
|2 tbsp||balsamic vinegar|
|For the dippers:|
|a little bit of||olive oil|
|8 slices (muenster, gruyere, provolone, swiss)||cheese|
- In a large non-stick 6 Quart soup pot heat the olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the onions and lots of fresh pepper and a bit of salt to the pan and stir well so the onions are well coated.
- Cook uncovered on medium heat for about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid any sticking or burning. This step and the stirring are crucial to avoid the onions from burning and turning bitter. You want the onions to cook down, caramelize and form a bit of a syrup.
- Once the onions are fully caramelized add the sherry to the pan to de-glaze the pan, stirring well and incorporating any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the stock, thyme and a bit more pepper and salt. Stir well, turn the heat down to low and simmer for another 10 minutes to allow all the flavors to deepen.
- After the 10 minutes add the balsamic vinegar, stir well and cook a further 10 to 20 minutes to allow the vinegar to cook off.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the soup is cooking make the grilled cheese dippers. Brush one side of the 4 pieces of the bread lightly with a bit of olive oil.
- Place the bread sliced oil side down on an ungreased baking tray.
- Add 2 slices of the cheese per bread slice and layer the remaining 4 slices of bread on top.
- Brush the top sides of the bread lightly with a bit of olive oil and bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes until the cheese is melty and the bread is nice and golden brown. Keep in mind all ovens vary, so keep an eye on them.
- Taste and re-season the soup if desired and turn off the heat. Cut the grilled cheese dippers into thirds.
- Serve the soup in bowls with 3 grilled cheese dippers per person. Enjoy.